Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Linda's kitchen: Holes in the ceiling and a skim coat

So, last week, I reported that we'd scraped off the popcorn from my kitchen ceiling. It was quite a mess and I was wondering if we'd be able to get the ceiling into good enough shape to paint (vs. cover up with beadboard or wallpaper).

Well, this weekend, we cut out three holes for recessed lights and put up the first coat of skim coat (joint compound) and I think it's looking pretty good!
Now, before anyone asks about the placement of the recessed lights - yes, I do know they are off center. We had a dilemma. The center of the window/sink is not centered on the kitchen. When the original builders put up the overhead light fixture, they made some kind of attempt at centering it on the ceiling, but they missed and it's neither centered on the ceiling or in front of the window. To add to that, the space above the kitchen is where the central air machinery is - right over the pendant light junction box. So, moving that light to center it wasn't an easy option and we opted to leave it as is. So, I decided to line up the center recessed fixture with the pendant and snug the outer lights somewhere between the center light and cabinets. Which made sense, until we realized there is an unfortunately placed stud, which put the kibosh on that idea. So, the two lights needed to be moved closer to the center, which meant to my eye that they needed to be equa-distant to the center. Or, thereabouts. Make sense? There was no obvious solution that wasn't going to bother my sense of balance, but the deed is done.

And get a load of that fantastic skim coat! One more skim, then prime - then paint! Well, after new moldings are put up, the cabinets are painted (inside and out) and the recessed lights are added. I need the patented Eddie Ross energy drink (Facebook joke).

For the time being, I will be keeping the existing ceiling fixture (it's way down on the list of necessities). But a girl can dream...


via me at the Edith Wharton house



Subscribe to ::Surroundings::





No comments:

Post a Comment