Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Linda's Kitchen: Dust, dust, dust


Achew.  Seriously - there is dust EVERYWHERE!!! This weeks update on my kitchen is all about dust. As I've previously written, we removed the popcorn ceiling and have been working each week to get the new ceiling smooth.

After applying two coats of joint compound, this week, we sanded. And by me, I do mean my generous pal Rob. One piece of advice - contain the dust! We stapled a sheet over the opening to my kitchen to keep the dust in. The pic below is on the dining room side of my kitchen door. You can see the bottom of the sheet on the right, and some of the dust trying to make a get-a-way.



And this, my friends, is the carnage after the ceiling was sanded. When I was shaking the drop cloths outside, it looked like my deck was on fire - the dust was flying everywhere and looked a lot like smoke!

On a decorative note - this photo also has a sneak peak of what I'm doing on the walls... Yes, it's the infamous beadboard wallpaper. I only have some of it up, but boy, it's easy to work with, very inexpensive (about $21 per roll from Home Depot online) and looks like the real thing. More on this in a future post. But, meanwhile, click here for Rhoda's Southern Hospitality Beadboard wallpaper party post.



So, a little recap.


The original nasty popcorn ceiling:



Scraped of popcorn (whoever invested this nasty stuff should be drawn and quartered!)
 

And now, two coats of joint compound, fully sanded, wiped clean and primed with Zinsser's Primer/Sealer.  The final step for the ceiling will be the paint.


Is this a thing of beauty of what? And trust me, the photo does not do the ceiling justice at all. Smoooooth as a baby's bottom!



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::


No comments:

Post a Comment