Monday, August 24, 2009

Open shelving in my kitchen: In or Out?

New England Home Magazine - Kitchen by Molly Frey. Photo by Eric Roth

As I'm preparing to embark on my own kitchen makeover project, I've been thinking a lot about open shelving. My bloggie friend Susan Serra, aka The Kitchen Designer, wrote a post about open shelving two years ago after her trip to KBIS that year. As I've got kitchens on the brain, I've been studying what's going on out there and what tips and ideas I can use in my small little kitchen. Here's a roundup of some great open shelving ideas I've come across:



Julie's kitchen in Julie and Julia

Julia's kitchen in Julie and Julia



So, anyway, there's lots of inspiration out there. My small kitchen could benefit from the openess that open shelving creates, but I don't have enough cabinets to start with to give up the storage space. I may be able to add shelves along the one long wall in the space, but it still leaves questions for me.
  • Do I have enough attractive items nice enough for open shelving?
  • Will I clean/dust the shelves regularly enough?
  • Once I have them, will I continuously be fussing over how they look?
I'd love to hear the pros and cons from those of you who live with open shelves!


Subscribe to ::Surroundings::





No comments:

Post a Comment