Saturday, August 15, 2009

Friends, birthdays and the art of listening

Several years ago, I inherited this pink and gold Depression glass sugar bowl and creamer from a great Aunt. I've always loved it and take care not to wash so much that the pattern completely wears away.

A couple of months ago, my Mom and I were perusing a local antiques shop and I came across an octagonal cake plate with handle that was a near perfect match for my set. What a cute way to serve coffee and dessert! My mother, being a depression baby herself, and knowing that business is slow for me right now, looked a little skeptical at me as I cooed over the pretty pink and gold plate. There may have been some comment made about paying the mortgage. (rasa frasa grumble grumble...) So, I left it where it was. Because, no matter how old (ahem) we get, our mothers still have power over us.

But I was sad and knew had she not been there, I would have justified the expenditure and bought it. I mentioned it to a couple of friends (it was still on my mind, you see), both of whom felt I should have bought it anyway. What would we do without our friends! It wasn't terribly expensive, afterall. But, it wasn't a necessity either.

Anyway, a few days ago, a mysterious package arrived on my door step. Guess what is was?

I could have cried. My dear friend Rob, whom I'd been whining to about the pretty cake stand, did some detective work, called my Mom (who frankly didn't even remember what it looked like!!), secretly scoped out my creamer and sugar set while at my house and then wandered around the antiques shop until he found what he believed was the right thing. He doesn't know what Depression glass is and had no way to actually describe it. But he found it. For me. Because he knew it was a pretty little something that would make me very happy.

So sweet.

It's not about the cake stand after all.



Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

No comments:

Post a Comment