Sunday, October 18, 2009

Linda's Kitchen: Inside the cabinets



As I shared last week, we have removed all the cabinet doors and all the hardware from cabinets and doors to prepare the cabinets for painting. We got one set of cabinets primed and this week, while I was supposed to be continuing the priming job, I decided to try out the paint color that I've selected, which is Farrow & Ball's Cooking Apple Green.


Isn't it pretty? My absolute favorite color, ever! And I'm putting inside the cabinets. Oh, and on the ceiling. My kitchen cabinets are not, as I've mentioned, very high end, to say the least. They're a combination of nasty knotty pine on the outside with paneled back walls, and particle board side walls and shelves. Hard to paint, but I think two coats of primer followed by two coats of paint will cover it up well enough.

I decided to upholster the particle board shelves with burlap, rather than paint. My thinking is that it will be quicker and easier. Oh, truly, it's not quite as quick as I'd thought, I only got three done today. But still definitely quicker than painting several coats of paint!!!


And so, before I've finished actually priming and painting, I'm already putting in the covered shelves and styling... See what happens when a decorator is left to her own devices in a DIY project? We get distracted by the pretty!

My volunteer staff, aka my pal Rob, had today off. He's turning into a slacker as that's twice in one month!! Really, I am just kidding. I could not do this without his kind help, giving up part of nearly every weekend for the past almost two months.   I finally got him to pose for a photograph. Here he is in his own kitchen at his weekend house on Cape Cod. I was shooting his house for a story I'm writing on it. He's totally my Ty Pennington!

So, this is a pretty exciting week in the kitchen saga (nearly two months, getting scarily close to saga range!!!). I am going to be picking out my new kitchen appliances!

I have mentioned before that my blog is now part of New England Home magazine's website. My kitchen makeover has become the focal point of this new partnership and I can now announce that the third party in this relationship is Ferguson, a kitchen, bath and building showroom.


I'll be visiting their showroom on Friday to work with them to select my new range/oven, range hood, dishwasher and refrigerator. So exciting! I'll have a blog post on that process next week. Very exciting!! Am beginning to hope that I'll have it done by Christmas!



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::




No comments:

Post a Comment