Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Don't ya love when you find something great - in your own cupboard!

One of the benefits of a kitchen makeover (aside from how it will look when it's all finished!) is that it forces you to totally clean out the cabinets. I actually found a can of refried beans that had a sell-by date of 1999. Gross, I know. The really weird thing is that I moved to my condo that year and had moved the beans with me!! Expired beans and I paid to move them. On the other end of the spectrum, however, is that I also found this fabulous tea pot that I'd totally forgotten about. How beautiful is this! My recollection is that I inherited it from my great Aunt when we cleaned out her house after she passed away many years ago - something like 20 years ago.  My Auntie Marion had lived in her home, a two-family in Arlington, MA since the 1920's when my Great Grandparnts bought it. The downstairs apartment was my mother's first home (my Great Aunt was my Grandfather's sister) and my Auntie lived upstairs until her death at the age of 87. I've inherited several beautiful items from the house that all date to the 1920's and earlier. Apparently, this little tea pot is no exception!


The mark on the bottom shows that this is from the Hall's Tea Pot company and was made in the USA.


This ad dates to 1921.


And this ad is late 1920's actually looks like my tea pot!






I can attest that I had a pot of tea this morning and it did indeed stay very hot, it does look good, and if the maid is careless, I am certain it will stand up to my her clumsiness!


A 1920's Trade Ad. This pot is the "French" shape and has the same floral pattern as mine.






Teapot shape names:
Top: French, Boston, New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston
Middle: French, Aladdin, Hook Cover, Los Angeles, New York, Windshield
Bottom: Hook Cover, Hollywood, Boston, Windshield, Aladdin, Parade


This is an ad from the 1950's. There's my little pot in the upper left!


A vintage promotional shot of the Hall gold decorated tea pots. Mine is upper right. 



Hall China is still in production in Ohio. A very big thanks to the Ohio Pottery Company for all the great information and images above.

Have a cuppa with me?



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::




No comments:

Post a Comment