Saturday, December 12, 2009

My not so tiny Tannenbaum


Last week, I wrote about my sluggish holiday spirit and on what kind of Christmas tree I was going to do this year. I basically do something different every year-as the spirit moves me. My post involved a series of tiny trees - a.k.a. Tiny Tannenbaum - which charmed me into the right spirit to start my own holiday decorating.

And so, here is my own (not so) Tiny Tannenbaum:


At just over 5-1/2" tall, this tree is perfectly shaped and dense and was calling my name as I wandered the tree lot last week.  I wanted to use a big gold pot that I had hanging around and I thought this tree was the perfect shape and size to just plunk inside. And so it is.

I have tons of decorations from my own collecting, gifts and left overs from special events I've done in the past, so aside from the tree and other fresh greens, I didn't need to go out a buy any new pieces or doo-dads.  I'm happiest when I just lay everything out and come up with something new. Last year I went with an over the top pink and gold theme. This year, I felt the need for something a bit less contrived and easier.  I've had this burlap and gold ribbon for a couple of years. It wasn't easy to use on packages - too bulky - but it made for a great garland on the tree. Just the right touch of down home and glitz that I kind of like.  As you will see, I'm not Ms. Precision when it comes to hanging things on my tree. Basically I lay on, tuck in and am done with it. I don't mind visible wires, etc.  I also like to tuck ornaments into the branches, like small hidden presents as opposed to always hanging them off the end of branches. Most of my ornaments are gifts or have real meaning. For instance, in the photo below, there is a white and red ornament in the upper left corner. That was made by my Grandmother near the end of her life when she was in a nursing home. She gave it to my Mother, who has always placed it prominently on her own tree. This year, my Mom isn't feeling in the Christmas spirit and she's given me all her ornaments. So, of course, Grandma's ornament is now front and center on my tree. It's not a fancy thing - just a doily with some bits of ribbon - but it's made beautiful with meaning.



I have a thing for birds...  This one looks a little whacky, but she's protecting her eggs so she's entitled.
 

I have a lot of sea and angel inspired ornaments...

 

And I love this little wooden Santa that's light as a feather as it's made from thin shavings of wood.



I've only had this tree topper for a couple of years and it's the first time it's been on a tree. It would normally be a little too country cute for me, but, my oldest brother gave it to me and said when he saw it he thought it looked like me. Aww.... My brother is not normally a sugary guy, so that made the gesture even more touching. Or touched... he could go either way. (That one's for you Bob, if you're reading.)



 My candelier always gets the holiday treatment. This year, it's festooned with my German glass bird ornaments and a berry garland.  I don't light the candles often, but they will be lit for my family Christmas brunch.

 

Mrs. Cardinal sits upon her golden eggs in her golden nest.



In my front hall, I've filled my flea market silver tea pot with greens and pine cones. Simple.


And, here's my own tiny Tannenbaum, little trees festooned with silver balls and raffia, in my pair of antique wine buckets.  I think they kind of mimic my main tree.



And, of course, the true meaning of the season. This Nativity set has been in my family for years. My Dad's sister painted the pieces when she was apprenticing with the artist.  The faces have the most beautiful details. Sadly, there is a lot of chipping and I do need to find a restorer.


Thanks for taking the "tour" with me. Hope you're holiday decorating is going well. It's sure made me feel more in the spirit - something I really needed this year.


 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

No comments:

Post a Comment