Monday, December 14, 2009

Linda's Kitchen: There's light at the end of the tunnel




Once upon a time, my kitchen was a dated, tiny space with nasty knotty pine cabinets and twenty-five year old appliances.





As a featured piece of my blogging relationship with New England Home magazine, my planned kitchen facelift took on a larger scale. Instead of just painting the cabinets and walls, the popcorn ceiling was scraped off, recessed lighting was installed and beadboard was put up .

The cabinets were fully painted inside (Farrow & Ball: Cooking Apple Green) and out (Ben Moore: Black Forest Green).



Ferguson Appliance was the source for the beautiful kitchen appliances. My contact, Paul Gillis, in their Franklin, MA showroom was great to work with. We discussed my needs, space restrictions and budget and he put together a group of appliances that fit the bill and made all the arrangements for delivery and installation.

On delivery day, all I needed to do was prop open the door.


The very nice and professional delivery guys from Ferguson taking away my old stove. It served its purpose for twenty-five years and two owners so I'd say it didn't owe me anything. I am, however, looking forward to not burning things because it was running hot.
 

The next day, Ferguson's installer Tim came out and hooked up all the new appliances.  Again, he was so professional and nice to be around.

And so, I now have all new Whirlpool appliances - refrigerator, dishwasher and double oven range. I feel like I've died and gone to Julia Child's heaven.

 

 

On the work front, there is still quite a lot of work to be done. The soffit over the cabinets has been beadboarded and painted to match the walls and back splash. I still need to paint the undersides of the cabinets, sew the roman shade for the window, frame out the door way and, finally, build the new counter top with undercounter storage that is going along the long entry wall into the kitchen.


But, first, I have a lot of Christmas cookies to bake. Let the entertaining begin!



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

No comments:

Post a Comment