Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

Happy July 4th, America!

As I've previously written, and tweeted, I'm spending the long July 4th weekend in the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts. I spent a lovely few hours yesterday afternoon at Edith Wharton's house, and am very excited to do some in depth posts about this amazing estate, that just one year ago was facing foreclosure! What a comeback story!

I spent last evening at Tanglewood for the opening of the Boston Symphony Orchestra's summer season. James Levine conducted Tchaikovksy. In between raindrops, we had a lovely candlelit picnic on the lawn. A great wine - Clos du Val merlot - along with baguette and cheese, chicken salad and chocolate chip cookies. Delish!

Today, we're off for a visit to the Norman Rockwell museum, whose work I've always loved! Here are four of his most famous works, which seem appropriate for today: The Four Freedoms.

Freedom of Speech


Freedom of Worship


Freedom from Want


Freedom from Fear

While we're clearly still a work in progress, I do believe we keep trying.

And tonight, I'll be back at Tanglewood to hear Diana Krall! I hope you're spending the holiday with friends and family and having a great time!






Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

No comments:

Post a Comment