Friday, June 26, 2009

Falmouth, MA



This has been an oddly busy, yet slow week, which is kind of strange. As I'd mentioned before, I've been working out of the Trianon Antiques showroom in the Boston Design Center this week, while owners Diana and Scott Cooper are in France. Unfortunately, the internet connection is s-l-o-w... zzzz...zz.. So it's taken me much longer to do much of anything and therefor I haven't been able to post as much as I'd hoped! I have several posts going around in my head - I just need the time and the speedier internet connection to get them out!!

I've been meaning to get this post done for a couple of weeks. I spent a weekend at the beginning of the month with members of my business roundtable group at a house in Falmouth Heights, Massachusetts. Falmouth is on Cape Cod (I live over the bridge, about a half hour north) and looks towards Martha's Vineyard across the water. The weekend we were there was one of the few nice days we've had all season! So, I hope you enjoy the tour of this quintessential New England beach town as much (or nearly so!) as I did being there!
These houses are situated on the hill overlooking the bay, across from Martha's Vineyard - all have an amazing view! Most date to the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century.
How cute was this little group of kids from a wedding party I came upon. I love the formal with flip flops look. The wedding was taking place right on the beach.

There's a strong late Victorian gingerbread aesthetic going on in this neighborhood:


This is a traditional Dutch colonial with widow's walk:

This is the house that belongs to our host, which dates to just about 1900. If you are interested i learning more about the house and rental possibilities, click here. I highly, highly recommend it!! If you look closely, you'll see our hostess setting up croquet and one of our group members doing her yoga on the front lawn. Sitting in the living room, looking through the dining room out to the bay. The current dining room used to be a porch, which they enclosed.
The colorful and oh-so-comfy living room.
A few of Martha's Vineyard - gotta love the telephoto lens!

Another Dutch colonial style shingle home that I loved:
I love little hidden pathways... there were several of them leading to private beach and moorings for residents:

This house looked closed still. But oh, all those windows with great views!
A nice water view from the road - love the beach plums (aka beach roses)
Nothing but view...
This house is okay, but look closely for the carousel horses on the first level and silver cow on the second! Odd, but fun!
Another private little nook....
And another with boardwalk:
The beach roses were in full bloom:

I hope you enjoyed my photo tour of Falmouth, Massachusetts. Have a great weekend and stay tuned next week. We have a great pair of guests on The Skirted Roundtable (I can't wait to reveal who they are!!) and I'll be spending the end of the week out in the Berkshires, attending two concerts at Tanglewood. I'll be dining al fresco on the lawn, so stay tuned for posts on the perfect lawn picnic out under the stars. * I'll also be visiting Edith Wharton's home The Mount, and doing who knows what else!

* unless it rains, which is all it's doing these days!

Have a great weekend!!!


Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

No comments:

Post a Comment